Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Tuesdays are tue long*

I work the on the Missourian copy desk on Tuesday nights, and it seems like everything always happens on Tuesdays: Today's Valentine's Day. Quin Snyder finally showed up for a press conference (check tomorrow's Missourian). Plus, for the first time since, like, third grade, I have the flu.

I should be miserable right now. My head feels like it's balancing on my neck ever-so-delicately, my nose and throat are raw and I've had a fever since yesterday at 11 a.m. The reporters just got back from Quin's conference, so I know I'm going to be stuck here on the desk until at least midnight, most likely later. And I don't have a Valentine.

But, to my own surprise, I'm not.

I've always had a bit of masochism in me. A taste for the suffering of being sick, sleep-deprived or alone. But I'm not really enjoying it all this time. Maybe I'm growing up or becoming self-actualized or something. Or maybe I've finally gotten over myself.

Either way, today I smiled at the couples holding hands on campus and "awww-ed" at the Facebook announcements. I'm not complaining on the copy desk because I've seen how hard the reporters have been working on the Snyder story (and besides, their work on this one will give them a huge leg up in the job market.) And I gave in and bought a box of DayQuil on my way to class today. (Actually, maybe that's what's causing this optimistic delirium.)

So Happy Valentine's Day. Kudos on your journalistic expertise, and I'm sorry to hear about your departure, Quin. And, get well soon.

Cheers.

(*this is today's quote, compliments of the away message of my best friend from high school. Thanks, I didn't think you'd mind.)

No comments: