Saturday, April 08, 2006

one is silver

I think I recently made a new friend. We've had a couple of classes together in the past but never really socialized until having a couple of weeks ago. Now, this kid has been added to the short list of people that call me fairly regularly, which includes my mom, sister and two roommates.

I like having a new friend with whom I have a genuine good time. But I'm kind of struck at how quickly I was able to feel at ease and open up with this person. Generally, I'm pretty reserved and make people gain my trust. So what is it that made me trust this cat so quickly?

A quote from Michael Connelly's crime fiction novel, The Poet, suggests a valid possibility:

“Maybe because it is always easy to trust somebody who has done what you have done.” ~Michael Connelly, The Poet

Connelly, a former crime reporter for the Los Angeles Times, was describing an exchange between a newspaper reporter and a former newspaper reporter. The current reporter was musing over why he was so quick to trust a complete stranger with information for a hot story.

Fictional story or not, I think there's merit to that idea. My new friend and I are both journalism majors - we both have put in extensive tenures at the Missourian. Thinking a little deeper, any good friends I've made over the past year have been journalism or Missourian kids. Granted, proximity probably plays a role. But there still seems to be some kind of unspoken club, clique or good-ole bond that people seem to share with those that do what they do. Maybe its because there's always something to talk about. Or maybe there's a special understanding and respect for each other.

Either way, I'm kind of glad that bond among professions exists. If nothing else, I've made some great friends because of it. Cheers.

No comments: